AMSHeR @ ICASA 2017: ‘No Ending AIDS Without Inclusion of All!’September 22, 2017
The African Men for Sexual Health and Rights [AMSHeR] has since 2011 participated in the International Conference on AIDS and STIs in Africa [ICASA] and has hosted several events including the Key Populations (KPs) Conference, the Health Institute and management of the Men who have sex with Men [MSM] Networking zone amongst others.
This year AMSHeR brings together more than 200 human rights defenders (HRDs), HIV/AIDS activists, health experts and officials, religious and political leaders, partner organisations and funders for our presence at ICASA. The majority of participants will be drawn from the continent with a balanced representation of Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone countries to ensure a continent-wide representation.
Building on the momentum from the 18th ICASA 2015 where AMSHeR participated and organised the first ever Pre-Conference on KPs in Africa at an ICASA, AMSHeR will again this year use the 19th ICASA 2017 theme ‘No End to AIDS without Inclusion of All’ to align this year’s theme of ‘Africa: Ending AIDS – delivering differently’.
AMSHeR’s overall objectives at the 19TH ICASA is to bring visibility to and advocate for the need of ensuring that human rights for Men who Have Sex with Men (MSM), Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) individuals and other KPs are key priority in the post Sustainable Development Goal [SDG] framework for a sustainable global HIV response in reaching 90-90-90 and to demand accountability from states, development partners, civil society actors and other stakeholders.
AMSHeR@ICASA2017 advocacy themes
- Integrating approaches for sustainable Responses towards ending AIDS
- Maintaining and Sustaining Investment for Civil Society Organisations [CSOs] and Faith Based Organisations [FBOs].
- Rights-based models to overcome structural and policy barriers towards universal access
AMSHeR’s Activities at the 19th ICASA 2017, in Conjunction with Member Organisations, Affiliates and Partners.
- Sexual Health and Rights [SHR] Institute on Young Key Populations [KPs] and Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights [SRHR]: [30 November – 1 December 2017] – ‘Young Key Populations (YKPs) and their Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights (SRHR)’
- The Key Populations [KP] Pre-conference: [2 – 3 December 2017] – ‘Onto the African Map: Youth Key Populations and HIV’
- The Key Populations [KPs] Networking Cocktail Event: [Evening 02 December 2017]
- AMSHeR @ the MSM Networking Zone
- AMSHeR Steering Committee meeting: [December 2017]
- AMSHeR Board meeting: [December 2017]
- AMSHeR ICASA Networking Event: TBA